SubjectRe: Linux/IA-64 byte order
> I might be missing a point, but why do _we_ care that much about x86
> compatibility? I see why M$ and others want it will all their closed
> source applications but for Linux it is just a matter of recompilation
> and that is what people really want to do. You say you care very
> little about kernel module binary compatibility, why do you suddenly
> care about compatibility of binary only user land applictions?

How long do you think it will take RedHat, Debian, etc. to make an IA64
native distribution? I know Redhat doesn't have an UltraSparc native
version, and I don't think Debian does either (I could be wrong on that,
don't use Debian). But, 32-bit binaries run on the sparc64 kernel.
This is a similar case.

Brian Gerst