    SubjectRe: Linux/IA-64 byte order
    > I might be missing a point, but why do _we_ care that much about x86
    > compatibility? I see why M$ and others want it will all their closed
    > source applications but for Linux it is just a matter of recompilation
    > and that is what people really want to do. You say you care very
    > little about kernel module binary compatibility, why do you suddenly
    > care about compatibility of binary only user land applictions?

    How long do you think it will take RedHat, Debian, etc. to make an IA64
    native distribution? I know Redhat doesn't have an UltraSparc native
    version, and I don't think Debian does either (I could be wrong on that,
    don't use Debian). But, 32-bit binaries run on the sparc64 kernel.
    This is a similar case.

    Brian Gerst

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.024 / U:0.952 seconds]