SubjectRe: Maybe Disk Problem.

> I don't know what is back or middle - my drive is as usual in the front;
> no other devices on the disk cable - only the cdrom on other cable.

Depends on your view (I though of motheboard connector as first).
Try plugging it in the middle..

> > Also your video problems are indicative of some noise going around
> > inside computer case - you might cure it by repositioning your video card
> > and checking that no cables are touching it. Also check grounding and see
> > if it(problem) dissappears if you remove one of the devices (usually
> > cd-rom) - just in case you have a power shortage.
>
> I don't think it is some kind of noise or grounding problem as everything with the graphics
> and I must emphesize <everything> is ok, except when logining on textmode regular console
> and activating mc - there is some part of a second distortion.

mc is just a program. It should not affect the hardware so much as to
cause a distortion. What probably happens it accesses disk and/or paints
something on the screen that makes your monitor unstable.

> > I know all this above sounds a bit strange - but I have seen a _lot_ of
> > computers made by well-known manufacturers that had above problems
> > (though power problems usually relate to computers assembled by users
> > themselves).
>

> You see Vladimir: what upsets me is that I have most ever standart computer:
>
> ide 5.1 Quantum disk,
What is the output of hdparm -I ?

> P2 processor and Motherboard,

What motheboard ? (are they any markers on it ? , can you find the
manufacturer (it may have new bios or at least notes about bugs)

> 3d rage pro xpret@work 8M g.card
> atx box,
> regular modem 36.6,
> regular acer cdrom x27
> 64Mb best memory.
> Nokia 15inch Monitor.
> Award Bios 4.51
> kernel 2.2.2
>
> everything is regular, standart, known manufactorers and should give good performance,
> but instead I get plenty of problems:
>
> *the above distortion
> *apm hardly works and power on halt works only with enabling apm in the bios - which have
> no connection

Actually I think linux kernel checks if apm is enabled in bios and then
turns it's own apm on or off. This is an easy way to see if the computer
is behaving well with apm - if it wasn't the owner would have disabled
apm.

> *DMA makes problems so I work without it (~4 times slower).
> *Mouse in gpm is ok, but inside X middle button doesn't work - and I tryed everything,
> now I work with the middle emulation.

This one I can cure for you :) Do this :
put -R in gpm argument (it will pipe it output thru /dev/gpmdata)
and configure Xserver to use /dev/gpmdata as mouse device with type
"MouseSystems". I have found that gpm understands (generally) more mice
than Xfree. Gpm also behaves better when you disconnect and connect it.

> these problems are from the moment I bought the computer half year ago.
> it is not a cheap one and from reliable store.

This could be the problem. I haven't seen a store yet (reputable included)
that sold a good computer (at least for Linux, but I'll include Windows as
well). The thing is they always cut costs on something. And they usually
worry more about how many Mhz it has than how stable it is.

> Linux is the perfect,ultimative OS, but these problems 'make me problems'.

Well... My solution to this is to know certain components that do well and
stick to them. Since people ask me to help with their problems I can see
what works and what doesn't.. The fact is even good manufacturers are
prone to save a couple of cents by eliminating a resistor provided the
computer still boots without it.

Vladimir Dergachev

> Thanks,
> Pavel.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.051 / U:0.540 seconds]