    SubjectRe: Linux/IA-64 byte order -- gcc extension(?)
    Richard Gooch <> baited:
    > Hi, all. I've been discussing the byte order that Linux/IA-64 will
    > have with David Mosberger from HP. I'm arguing for big-endian to be
    > used.

    There have been suggestions of using mmap() flags to do this, certainly
    not quite generally portable approach, but not so bad, either.
    (And knowing what local tricks e.g. AIPS does per platform, I would not
    consider such mmap() gimmic bad at all ;-) )

    I am curious regarding compilers, is there any way to tell to e.g. egcs
    that given memory reference should be done in explicite BE, or explicite
    LE mode, and let the compiler to generate proper instructions in order
    to do such accesses -- as DaveM noted, such memory-reference-endianity
    bit seems to exist in SPARC64 ?

    > Regards,
    > Richard....

    /Matti Aarnio <>

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.019 / U:4.936 seconds]