SubjectRe: Maybe Disk Problem.
Hi,

Vladimir Dergachev wrote:

> This means your disk isn't compatible with UDMA and/or your motherboard.
> Actually noting you have P2 your motherboard probably uses a standard
> Intel chipset so it must be due to the disk. I have also heard in the past
> some stuff about (some) Quantum disks not doing UDMA well.

But Andre M.Hedrick said:

" The Quantum SE, ST, EL, and EX series are all fully compliant with Linux
and UDMA, provide the mainboard or host adapter is okay. "

> UDMA behaves in much the same manner as DMA - at least from kernel point
> of view, it's just faster.
>
> You should also check for the following:
> IDE cables - is it long ? Is your drive plugged in the middle or in the
> back ? Are there other devices on this cable ? Try reconfiguring them.
> For example if you have a cd-rom or zip disk on the same cable try to see
> what happens if you disconnect them.

I don't know what is back or middle - my drive is as usual in the front;
no other devices on the disk cable - only the cdrom on other cable.

> Also your video problems are indicative of some noise going around
> inside computer case - you might cure it by repositioning your video card
> and checking that no cables are touching it. Also check grounding and see
> if it(problem) dissappears if you remove one of the devices (usually
> cd-rom) - just in case you have a power shortage.

I don't think it is some kind of noise or grounding problem as everything with the graphics
and I must emphesize <everything> is ok, except when logining on textmode regular console
and activating mc - there is some part of a second distortion.

> I know all this above sounds a bit strange - but I have seen a _lot_ of
> computers made by well-known manufacturers that had above problems
> (though power problems usually relate to computers assembled by users
> themselves).

You see Vladimir: what upsets me is that I have most ever standart computer:

ide 5.1 Quantum disk,
P2 processor and Motherboard,
3d rage pro xpret@work 8M g.card
atx box,
regular modem 36.6,
regular acer cdrom x27
64Mb best memory.
Nokia 15inch Monitor.
Award Bios 4.51
kernel 2.2.2

everything is regular, standart, known manufactorers and should give good performance,
but instead I get plenty of problems:

*the above distortion
*apm hardly works and power on halt works only with enabling apm in the bios - which have
no connection
*DMA makes problems so I work without it (~4 times slower).
*Mouse in gpm is ok, but inside X middle button doesn't work - and I tryed everything,
now I work with the middle emulation.

these problems are from the moment I bought the computer half year ago.
it is not a cheap one and from reliable store.

Linux is the perfect,ultimative OS, but these problems 'make me problems'.

Thanks,
Pavel.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.076 / U:0.800 seconds]