    SubjectRe: OFFTOPIC: New MBR and partitioning standard?
    Date
    On Sat, 06 Mar 1999, Dave Cinege wrote:
    >Isn't it about time the x86 platform supported more then 4 'real' partitions?
    >
    >I'm getting really sick of this limitation and was thinking of sitting down
    >with some peers, drafting a new extended MBR standard, then submitting it OS
    >vendors.
    >
    >For instance, the first partition is (generally) started on the 65th sector.
    >That leaves 63 512byte sectors that are always free. Why not extend the normal
    >partition entires say 16 sectors (== about 512 16byte partition entires),
    >and reserve the remaining sectors for extended MBR code? (IE the code in
    >sector 0, hops to sector 18)

    Why wait for general acceptance? An extension of this sort can be implemented
    OS-by-OS, with non-compatible OS's using the old extended partition system.
    Just put some kind of checksum and magic number in the extended MBR area :)

    Taral

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.019 / U:63.100 seconds]