    SubjectRe: user space writel() etc. in 2.2.2
    On Fri, 5 Mar 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

    OK, finally I am enlightened (by Alan and others). The story is that
    there is no portable solution for IO memory acces in current Linux. It is
    platform dependent in a non-trivial way:
    > > On Fri, 5 Mar 1999, Alan Cox wrote:
    > There really isnt an easy one
    > ARM - no cache coherency
    > Alpha - offset PCI mapping. PCI I/O space is mapped in strange ways
    > varies by platform
    > PMac - PCI bus is endian swapped in hardware
    > x86 - Sane (well its the reference bus)
    > Sparc64 - Basically sane - again PCI I/O space is mapped as memory
    > I think you come down to needing an
    > arch_fooplatform.c (or .tcl)

    I will try to put a library to that effect, but I don't have
    platforms other then i386. I will cut and pasted code from asm/io.h with
    proper adjustments (i.e. no virtual to bus translation, just virtual
    mmap()-ed memory). I still have some feeling that it is already done in
    io.h, but I will yield.

    | Linux Media Labs LLC | Vassili Leonov

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.035 / U:2.284 seconds]