SubjectRe: MOSIX and kernel mods.
On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Troy Benjegerdes wrote:

>> As a side note. How difficult would it really be for someone to
>> SQUASH MOSIX by releasing a FULLY GPL'd product that is as
>> functional or more?
>
>MOSIX has existed as various extensions to various OS kernels at least as
>early as the PDP-11 days. Their research group has been doing this for at
>least 20 years. I doubt you could duplicate that work anytime soon.

For what it is worth, UNIX itself has been around for 30 years,
and now we have Linux. I'd bet that should someone here decide
to reimplement MOSIX or clone it, that they could do it, and it
wouldn't take 20 years. I'd bet that if someone were as
committed as Linus was creating Linux, that they could start such
a project, and get enough followers, coders, and hackers to whip
out a full clone/replacement of MOSIX before a year or 2 expired.

The internet, and the hacker community at large have done many
such undertakings allready.

Linux, GNU, Wine, DOSemu, KDE, GNOME, and many other projects
show that with enough dedication, anything can be done, and it
doesn't take 20 years.

--
Mike A. Harris Linux advocate GNU advocate
Computer Consultant Open Source advocate

The DVORAK keyboard layout RULES! I memorized it in 45 minutes
and I don't think I'm ever going back to QWERTY!

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.223 / U:0.296 seconds]