    SubjectRe: multiply files in one (was GNU/Linux stance by Richard Stallman)
    Jon Bright wrote:
    > Larry McVoy wrote:
    > > THINK. You guys aren't THINKING. It is very FRUSTRATING.
    > >
    > > If you have 200 small files and you have to go get 200 inodes and 200 blocks
    > > to read them in, the inodes and the blocks aren't next to each other, that's
    > > 400 disk transactions instead of 1. THINK. PLEASE. This is the third time
    > > I've gone over this point.

    > And if you have 200 small files spread about in a pseudo-tarball of
    > 4000 files? Or say your tarballs only cover 200 files at a time,
    > you have 200 files spread through 20 pseudo-tarballs? And just how
    > frequent an operation is it for something to read 200 small files
    > in? And if it's that frequent, then (admittedly you lose on the
    > first time), they'll (hopefully) still be cached for the second and
    > subsequent occasions?

    Just look at it this way: Suppose the parameters of the disk say that
    you can readahead 64k for "Free". Say I have a directory with 500
    small files. (whatever the limit is, memory, bandwidth,
    hitrate-chances: you need to put a limit on the readahead

    In the old situation that readahead would contain 64 files. So opening
    a random other file will have a 10% chance of being in the cache, not
    requiring another IO.

    In the new situation, the 500 files would only occupy say 150k on the
    disk. So the readahead hits 40% of the files, giving a 40% hitrate on
    the next file.

    The extra hitrate is for free (in terms of IO). That's what makes it

    ** ** ** +31-15-2137555 **
    ------ Microsoft SELLS you Windows, Linux GIVES you the whole house ------

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.023 / U:61.848 seconds]