SubjectRe: multiply files in one (was GNU/Linux stance by Richard Stallman)

Larry McVoy wrote:

> loop and only you can break out of it - go think about it. Model it.
> Figure out exactly how long it takes to read a bunch of little files
> all in their own blocks and contrast that with how long it would take
> to read all those blocks in one large I/O.

*You're* the one with the proposal, *you* model it. Do it with Linux, since
this is linux-kernel, not sunos-kernel. Do it with several different
distributions of file sizes. Everyone can do the maths, but sufficient people
have come up with sufficient potential problems to indicate that the way you
want to do the maths might not necessarily prove to be
effective/efficient/useful/winning in real life.

With the number of proposals that appear here and elsewhere, I'd say it's
impractical, unreasonable and a waste of collective effort for everybody to
model all the proposals.

> I can't think for you. Please think for yourself and then we can have

This is hardly going to win people round to your point of view.

--
Jon Bright
Lead Programmer, Silicon Circus Ltd.