SubjectRe: GNU/Linux

I thought that people dispised the BSD licence becouse (in part) it
insisted that Berkley get credit

(ducking for cover)

David Lang

On Sun, 28 Mar 1999, George Bonser wrote:

> Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 11:13:39 -0800 (PST)
> From: George Bonser <grep@shorelink.com>
> To: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Cc: andyc@andyc.carenet.org, linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
> Subject: Re: GNU/Linux
>
> On Sun, 28 Mar 1999, Richard Stallman wrote:
>
> > Calling the operating system just Linux confuses most users--anyone
> > who doesn't have a real firm understanding of the difference and
> > relationship between the whole system and the kernel. These people
> > see statements about "Linux", some of which refer to the kernel and
> > some of which refer to the whole system, and they don't realize that
> > not all the statements are talking about the same thing.
>
> Well, if you instist on making the additional requirement that anyone
> using GNU tools must add GNU/ to whatever they produce (I see that nowhere
> in the GPL, BTW, where did that requirement come from?) I think you may
> find that it is a temporary problem and people with either endevor to make
> other tools without such restrictions or port existing tools without such
> restrictions to their systems in order to be truely free.
>

> George Bonser
>
> Support The THING -- http://shorelink.com/~grep/THING.html
>

> -

"If users are made to understand that the system administrator's job is to
make computers run, and not to make them happy, they can, in fact, be made
happy most of the time. If users are allowed to believe that the system
administrator's job is to make them happy, they can, in fact, never be made
happy."
- -Paul Evans (as quoted by Barb Dijker in "Managing Support Staff", LISA '97)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.203 / U:0.396 seconds]