    SubjectRe: multiply files in one (was GNU/Linux stance by Richard Stallman)
    "Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH" wrote:
    > Steven Roberts writes:
    > | Of course, I'm thinking a userfs solution would work here.
    > Why? Methinks a library would suffice, especially for trivial archive
    > formats (ar comes to mind). There's no need for special kernel involvement,
    > except perhaps to make it transparent --- and a stdio extension to allow
    > transparent redirection of I/O for specially-configured (FILE)s would solve
    > that one just as well.

    It's the transparent issue. But as Alan mentioned, the psuedo-nfs has
    been done, and people are looking into using the CODA hooks to do it.

    A special stdio hook would work, but then you have to change a lot of
    code (or at least recompile/relink.

    Steve

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.020 / U:1.460 seconds]