SubjectRe: /bin/true (Re: GNU/Linux stance by Richard Stallman)
Date
In article <linux.kernel.19990329004904.A7416@frotz.net>,
Brian J. Swetland <swetland@be.com> wrote:
>[david parsons <o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s>]
>> >
>> >ObKernel: the kernel does not fall back to using /bin/sh to execute files
>>
>> Well, that sucks. That means that I have to resort to wasting
>> FIFTY-SIX WHOLE BYTES to have /bin/true work properly in all
>> situations (yeah, I could probably make it smaller, but to do
>> that would mean that I'd need to do it in assembly rather than
>> C.)
>
>Wouldn't it be more worthwhile to just make it a shell builtin (it
>was pointed out to me that bash does this)?

Well, if you're just going to execute it from a shell, a zero-byte
/bin/true is better, because it won't lock people into using a
specific shell.

But who cares about that when you can get into a righteous tizzy
over wasting FIFTY-SIX WHOLE BYTES on your, umm, 16gb / partition.

____
david parsons \bi/ "precious bodily fluids"
\/

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.045 / U:0.432 seconds]