    SubjectRe: multiply files in one (was GNU/Linux stance by Richard Stallman)
    : > The conclusion that I came to as a result of looking at this (and a lot
    : > more) data was that the wrong thing to do is worry about single files.
    : > What you want to do is to figure out how to put mutiple files in one
    : > "file" - essentially make tar be a part of the file system where you put
    : > related files in the same "tarball". Then when you access any file -
    : > metadata or data - then you schlep in the entire tarball and explode it
    : > in memory. Food for thought.
    : I think the idea is flawed.
    : You're building a filesystem in a filesystem to overcome your
    : "non-optimal" original file system.

    Please show me the design of a file system which can bring in multiple
    small files with a single seek and read. When you get done, you'll be
    looking at what I described.

    : As a side note (aprox current US prices):
    : 9.1 GB UW-SCSI, 7200 rpm harddrive: ~$290
    : 18 GB UW-SCSI, 7200 rpm harddrive: ~$600
    : I paid ~$600 for a 9.1 GB about a year ago (and I still have 2 GB
    : free). E.g. the pace of technology is probably against your idea.

    I think that maybe you thought the point was disk space. It's not, it's
    a performance problem. Consider a directory with a lot of little files.
    Each of those little files costs in the 10s of milliseconds to read in.
    On your spiffy drives you described, I can read in 10MB in 10ms plus the

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.018 / U:32.288 seconds]