    SubjectRe: smbfs still timing out
    Date
    mev0003@unt.edu enscribed thusly:

    [...]

    > Ok, I tried the inline password form, and it is still mounted, except
    > pagefile.sys is inaccessible. Hmm, really wanted to screw with my NT
    > box's paging. ;) (j/k). I last mounted that partition this morning,
    > when I sent my last message. So, I guess this would really be a samba
    > problem, and not a kernel problem.

    Still a bit early to tell, but it does look that way, yes...

    > However, I really don't like entering the password that way. A grep on
    > .bash_history for the password is plenty of reason for *that* little
    > bias! Too bad there's not a way to alert bash that a particular string
    > is actually a password, and that that string shouldn't be kept in
    > ~/.bash_history.

    Use the environment mechanism or command substitution? You defeat
    the history problem a couple of ways if you are really worried about that...

    Examples:

    # eval `cat`
    export PASSWD=foo
    ^D

    Or on the command line the same way...

    # smbmount //server/foo `cat` .....
    export PASSWD=foo
    ^D

    Yeah, it's a kludge, but it will help out while I figure out WTF
    is still busted...

    > --
    > Matthew Vanecek
    > Studies in Business Computers at the University of North Texas
    > http://www.unt.edu/bcis
    > Visit my Website at http://people.unt.edu/~mev0003
    > For 93 million miles, there is nothing between the sun and my shadow
    > except me. I'm always getting in the way of something...

    Mike
    --
    Michael H. Warfield | (770) 985-6132 | mhw@WittsEnd.com
    (The Mad Wizard) | (770) 925-8248 | http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/