SubjectRe: smbfs still timing out
On 25 Mar, Michael H. Warfield spewed forth:
:: Matthew Vanecek enscribed thusly:
:: > One last thing, to make sure it's not user error: Does it matter where
:: > you enter the password? i.e., enter it on the command line or wait for
:: > the Password prompt? For some perverse reason I seem to prefer typing
:: > my password at the password prompt, because it's not echoed back to the
:: > screen.
:: Let me say that it shouldn't. It use to. Prior to 2.0.3, there
:: was a problem. I'll double check the 2.0.3 tarballs and make sure the
:: fix for the password cache made it in there. Before, if you passed the
:: password on the command line or in the PASSWD environment variable or after
:: a '%' in the USER environment variable, the password would get cached
:: for reconnects. If the password was prompted from the console, it wasn't
:: cached and the smbmount daemon would be foo when it went to reconnect.
:: You could try one of the other methods jsut to determine if it DOES
:: make a difference. Maybe I missed some silly case somewhere...

Ok, I tried the inline password form, and it is still mounted, except
pagefile.sys is inaccessible. Hmm, really wanted to screw with my NT
box's paging. ;) (j/k). I last mounted that partition this morning,
when I sent my last message. So, I guess this would really be a samba
problem, and not a kernel problem.

However, I really don't like entering the password that way. A grep on
.bash_history for the password is plenty of reason for *that* little
bias! Too bad there's not a way to alert bash that a particular string
is actually a password, and that that string shouldn't be kept in

Matthew Vanecek
Studies in Business Computers at the University of North Texas
Visit my Website at
except me. I'm always getting in the way of something...