    SubjectRe: NetGear FA310TX/tulip.c
    Date
    > > The ISA DMA 16bit sound problem is VIA specific. And its a bug. And its
    > > a right royal pain in the arse.
    >
    > What DMA problem is this? The only DMA problem im aware if is "trickle DMA
    > on PCI sound cards and PCI video cards hogging the bus" problem. Eg the
    > old Matrox PCI video killing sound bug.

    Disabling a 16bit DMA channel has a chance of hanging the chipset solid.

    > FWIW I havent had any problems with CS4237B DMA driven ISA sound cards on
    > VP3 chipsets, while driving UDMA drives full throttle.

    This is ISA specific - it doesnt even seem to matter what PCI stuff is
    going on. If you look in the PCI quirks you'll find "ISA DMA workaround"
    listed. It only affects some boards but VIA don't believe in talking to
    their users it seems so I've no idea if there is a workaround

    Alan

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.017 / U:30.280 seconds]