    SubjectRe: SMBfs problems
    	i sadly have to commit that i have the same problem running two linux
    machines (server: linux 2.2.2/samba 2.0.3; client linux 2.2.3).
    but it doesnt apply to heavy load. more it happens after a long time
    ( >16 hours or so). i tried with 2.0.36 for the client and this
    one worked fine. so i also guess its some smbfs trouble in here ?

    markus

    Once upon a time (around Tue, Mar 23, 1999 at 11:56:22PM -0800 i think)
    Russ Steffen told me :

    > I'm having a rather curious problem with some NT shares that I have
    > mounted via SMBfs.
    >
    > The shares mount fine, and work for well under "light" loads, but when
    > under stress (like a BRU or tar backup, find, or anything that does a lot
    > of directory scanning) the share "disappears" (ie. the top directory
    > suddenly appears empty save for . and .. ). The share is still mounted
    > according to mount, and df still reports the correct capacity and usage.
    > The only way I've found to recover is to umount & remount it.
    >
    > The syslog is absolutely silent on the subject the only oddities I've
    > found are a couple of messages like:
    >
    > Mar 15 17:31:49 saturn kernel: smb_dont_catch_keepalive:
    > server->data_ready == NULL
    >
    > - and -
    >
    > Mar 19 19:51:52 saturn kernel: smb_statfs: dskattr error = 5
    >
    > However, they don't correspond to the event. They appear at a times when
    > the mount was healthy and there is no error logged at the time of death.
    >
    > Other relevant info:
    > Kernel 2.0.36, observed on both SMP and UP.
    >
    > I've observed this on shares mounted from both NT Server 3.51 SP5
    > and 4.0 SP3.
    >
    > smbclient (via smbtar) has no problems on these shares, it's just smbfs.
    >
    > Russ

    "I'm NOT the man who to fuck with!"
    - resurrection -