SubjectRe: 3 Ooopses in 2.2.3

k> Hello!
>> The first and second oops killed my X server, but i was still able to
>> telnet into the box and shut it down. The system runs with some patches
>> from alexej for the CBQ system.

k> What is snapshot date? Is it before Andrea's af_unix fixes were merged
k> or after?

before.

k> If the first oops could be explained (in theory) by some bug in af_unix,
k> and the second ooops is apparent followup to the first one, third oops
k> looks really funny. For beginning, how gzip could call tcp sendmsg()? 8)8)8)

writing to a TCP/IP socket? gzip is used to compress the output of
`dump' and sending it over the net to the backup server.

k> It smells like buggy hardware. Try to tune cache/memory parameters in
k> bios setup. My experience prompts that such strange things are explained
k> mainly by too optimistic settings there and tuning usually helps.

I've been running the machine under load (no idling processor to raise
it's temperature) from friday morning to monday morning wihout nay
problem. There was one backup run in this time (friday night) and
everything is okay. CBQ is not configured, so it shouldn't affect the
kernel.

k> Alexey

--
Michael Lausch