SubjectRe: CPU Management for Linux?
> so how do you hot-remove memory? locked pages don't alway go away so
> easily...
[...]
> the above applies here -- if we tie a process to a specific processor
> or set of processors (there are patches which implement and IRIX
> compatible API here), how do we remove the processor?

So don't do that then :)

More seriously, presumably you'd run a util to prepare the system for
being gutted, which untied said processes, printed / killed processes with
locked-in pages, and waited until the said chunks of memory were free. Or
suspend the relevant processes to swap (Gabor's patches work really well
here). You'd need to make sure nothing else locked pages into the area you
wanted to remove while you were trying to empty it, of course.

--
"I decry the current tendency to seek patents on algorithms. There are
better ways to earn a living than to prevent other people from making use of