SubjectRe: [OFFTOPIC] Re: disk head scheduling

> > Then there was "Enriching the File System-Storage System Interface"
> > work-in-progress (Drew Roselli, Jeanna Neefe Matthews, Tom Anderson
> > (drew@cs.berkeley.edu) which talked about informing the storage subsystem
> > with info hints as for file block lifetime, etc... I think this might have
> > been what you were thinking of?
>
> Yes, I think this was what I remember not paying proper attention to...
> It is certainly one of these three, but I think it was this last one
> I remember...
>
> In my defense, I had just (mostly) recovered from serious bronchitis,
> but was still having periods of feeling crummy; and as I had been
> giving talks the previous two days to large audiences, I was just happy
> it was a day when I didn't have to be "on", but could imitate a vegetable
> or mineral, which I did that day, and crashed in my hotel room all evening...

Don't sweat it! There was a lot going on, and New Orleans is such a cool
place that sensory overload can take one's mind out rather quickly.

I think that this talk was the one where some arrogant twerp from EMC got
up and said "We've been doing things much more sophisticated than this for
years". Not a really very pertinent or illuminating comment.

At any rate, my notes are pretty incomplete on this talk- it *was* a quick
work-in-progress talk (< 7 minutes presentation+questions), and I can't
find the online version of the abstract, so maybe the author (I *believe*
that is 'drew@cs.berkeley.edu'- that's what my printed abstract says- but
it might have been Jeanna Neefe (neefe@cs.berkeley.edu)- I was quite
spaced out by that point) could comment or make a more complete version of
the paper available for perusal?

-matt

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.196 / U:0.584 seconds]