SubjectRe: #!perl - alternative path to script interpreters - patch to 2.2

On Sun, 21 Mar 1999, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

> Alexander Viro writes:
>
> > And script written under Linux and using that feature will break
> > *everywhere* else. Fun, fun...
>
> That would not be a Linux problem.

Bullshit. Software locked on *any* platform is evil, for a lot of reasons,
starting from the fact that it locks the platform in question too. Recall
your own comments re inability to separate /proc/<pid>/ stuff from the
rest of /proc without *major* breakage. The same reason why every
additional function in export list is the call for trouble, just that with
userland-visible stuff it's even worse (modules breakage is nasty, but
it's better than userland breakage). Even with modules we are deep in it -
struct file_operations is the holy cow that can't be touched without
breaking tons of 3rd-party hardware drivers. Look at the current mess with
ioctls. Like it? Me neither.

> One could have the kernel substitute any pathname for any other
> pathname when executing a script.

Or you can do it with sed when you install the software.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.043 / U:0.064 seconds]