    SubjectRe: #!perl - alternative path to script interpreters - patch to 2.2

    On Sun, 21 Mar 1999 wrote:
    > > > OK. But you have to change script. More: you have to know nature of a
    > > > problem (to remove '\r') - kernel will not tell you what is going wrong.
    > > Sorry, but you've missed the interesting part of it. For example,
    > > perl will react on \r in the script in funny way. You will have to remove
    > > that stuff anyway.
    > It's problem of perl not kernel - it should understand line with '\r'.
    > (in my opinion) All characters '\000' to ' ' are blank.

    Oh? Then what would you do about

    #!/bin/make -f

    #!/usr/local/bin/perl -w

    #!/bin/tail +2

    All are standard, the last one in form of

    #!/bin/tail +2
    Your account had been disabled for violation of AUP.
    If you want to discuss the reasons, call <number>.
    Have a nice day,
    <local BOFH>

    placed into /usr/local/sbin/FOAD, so that you could do
    chsh -s /usr/local/sbin/FOAD lusername
    when needed. And yes, it's a standard practice (modulo names).

    If everything from '\0' to ' ' is whitespace you are going to have a fine
    time with any langauge. And if CP/M bogosity with \r\n can be served by
    stripping \r, what will you do with equally evil MacOS bogosity (\r)?
    Hint: \r is *not* the same thing as \n - there are situations when two
    newlines are different from a single newline (TeX, for one).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.030 / U:93.808 seconds]