SubjectRe: UDMA not supported on my board

> > > This is the problem that I am finding with the Aladdin V M5229 IDE, also.
> >
> > Guys, no matter WHAT I do I don't seem to be able to get my Aladdin MB
> > using an ALI 1543 chipset and my Maxtor 90576D4 drive to use UDMA. Here is
> > what I've done so far..
> >
> > 1. Patched 2.2.2 to 2.2.3 + uniform IDE patch + 2.2.3-ac3 patch
> > 2. Rebuilt the config and selected ALI support and CONFIG_IDEAUTODMA per
> > the help instructions in the ALI kernel config help.
> > 3. Set my BIOS to try and force UDMA mode 2 on the drive.
> > 4. Reboot and issue an hdparm -X66 -d1
>
> Don't do this please!!!!!!!! The BIOS failed to do its job.

Hmm... Alright.. I'll stop. :) When you say the BIOS failed to do it's
job, do you mean that it failed to set the drive into UDMA more? Or it's
just not providing the correct information to the kernel? I'm a little
confused about the role the BIOS plays in this situation, so I'll take a
gander over the source and see what I can dig up on it.

> > Instantly, I start getting complaints about the drive not being ready and
> > I have to power off the system as it's locked solid. Suggestions?
>
> This is the result of SLEDGE Hammer to the BIOS. It is not tuned for that
> XFER rate and death will result. Everyone can shotgun a 12 ounce Beer and
> live, but KEG will prevent you from breathing (death). This a very
> accurate reference.

That is hilarious! :) Being a fan of beer bongs, this made me fall out of
my chair laughing, but I get the picture.

> > Config={ Fixed }
> > RawCHS=11166/16/63, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=29
> > BuffType=3(DualPortCache), BuffSize=256kB, MaxMultSect=16, MultSect=off
> > DblWordIO=no, maxPIO=2(fast), DMA=yes, maxDMA=2(fast)
> > CurCHS=11166/16/63, CurSects=11255328, LBA=yes
> > LBA CHS=697/256/63 Remapping, LBA=yes, LBAsects=11255328
> > tDMA={min:120,rec:120}, DMA modes: mword0 mword1 *mword2
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Your BIOS failed in the setup, and I have yet to design forced config code
> like I have for the PDC20246 code. There is a need for more chipset
> tuning code gobally, but it is a real pain to generate. I have two
> successful chipset codes and each only do half the job.
>
> PDC20246 code will tune all (U)DMA
> HPT343 code with tune all, but PIO modes are successful and (U)DMA choke.
>
> I am working on PIIX, ALI, and VIA code currently, but ALI docs are hard
> to read and understand the constaints.

Hmm.. perhaps I can get someone over at Aladdin to pitch in, but chances
are they won't be much help. I guess I'm just stuck with a crappy MB for
the time being and lowly 8mb / second transfer rates.. (Aw shucks.. I can
only load 1 MP3 per second! ;)

> Look at pdc20246.c and see how messy the task is that I am looking forward
> to repeating.

I'll do that. If I can offer any assistance, I'll contribute where
possible. I do, however, want to let you know how much I appreciate the
work that you are putting into the IDE drivers on Linux. Sometimes many
users take for granted what they are running and don't consider the source
and time invested by all the Linux hackers out there. I'm sure it's a
thankless job most of the time, but keep up the good work anyway. If you
can get the UDMA code working on the ALI, I'll ship you out a case of your
favorite beer! ;)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.057 / U:0.276 seconds]