SubjectRe: Odd code in iput() (since 2.1.60). What for?
It is my understanding that iget() will return an inode even if
its link count is zero. You still have to call iput on the
inode to get i_count back to zero. And I don't think that
this inode would be DIRTY.

It may be that there should be an iget...() that does not return
deleted inodes. (I could use it in NFSD, to get at the inode cache.)

Allen