    SubjectRe: DES module in kernel?
       Date: 	Thu, 18 Mar 1999 07:57:48 -0800 (PST)
    From: Mike Eisler <mre@eng.sun.com>

    That's the exact same README that is in the download from MIT. The bits
    are exactly the same. Someone is regularly donwloading this code
    from MIT and exporting it, apparently illegally, to the UK. That
    shouldn't be a suprise.

    For all I know, someone may have gotten an official source export
    license from the Department of Commerce. I'd be surprised, but I don't
    *know* one way or another whether it was exported illegally. The
    current MIT Copyright statement states that it is the responsibility of
    any person or organization contemplating export to obtain any possibly
    necessary export license before exporting.

    It you feel obligated to follow supranational U.S. law, you may. Others who
    feel differently (such as the maintainer of the ftp site) may not. It's a
    choice you have, though as a U.S. resident, not one that I have.

    Whatever my personal feelings about how silly and/or stupid current
    U.S. laws may be (and you may be sure that I communicate to my
    Congresscritters about this from time to time)....

    Officially, however, I cannot condone someone who might have illegally
    smuggled what the U.S. government considers munitions outside of the
    U.S., and I certainly can't encourage folks to break U.S. laws, lest I
    get in trouble with the U.S. government myself. So I very much hope
    that whoever is putting the Kerberos distribution had first managed to
    get an official export license (if necessary) from any relevant
    U.S. government agencies.

    - Ted

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.022 / U:119.548 seconds]