SubjectRe: oops in nfs_wback_result 2.2.3
Date

FWIW, nfs/write.c contains this code:

/*
* Ok, there's another user of this page with the new request..
* The IO completion will then free the page and the dentry.
*/
atomic_inc(&page->count);
file->f_count++;

Now if the problem is with f_count and it's on an SMP only, could it
be that that's the problem up there?

If page->count requires an atomic update in this particular situation,
wouldn't f_count also require an atomic update?
Or is f_count guaranteed to be accessed only be one processor?

I'm just guessing here, of course.

- Godmar

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your report.
>
> Can you repeat this Oops? I've seen reports of it before, and it
> seems to indicate that the 'f_count' from the file pointer is out of
> sync (the Oops is due to the f_dentry being NULL, so that the attempt
> to reference f_dentry->inode fails).
>
> If you have found a way of reproducing it, do you think you could
> 'echo 72 >/proc/sys/sunrpc/nfs_debug' and then provoke the Oops? I
> need to find out what is going wrong with the file count...
>
> BTW: is anybody seeing this problem on non-SMP machines?
>
> Cheers,
> Trond

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.114 / U:0.372 seconds]