    SubjectRe: DES module in kernel?
    On Wed, Mar 17, 1999 at 09:22:26AM -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

    > > > Not a bad idea.
    > > >

    > > Hmm... I wonder if MIT might agree to mirror/host
    > >
    > > There is a precedent, wasn't MIT a distribution point for another
    > > other export controlled product developed by Phil Zimmerman?
    > >
    > > Not many organizations in U.S. Government (and perhaps none at all)
    > > have sufficent clout to squelch MIT.
    > >
    > Why not leave it where it is -- off U.S. jurisdiction?

    Hi Peter,

    Agreed, that is best overall. My frustration, as a developer trapped
    behind the U.S. crypto iron curtain, sometimes clouds my thinking.

    Personally, I am uncomfortable releasing even the most trivial crypto
    enabling modifications to the kernel (as in the change to the transfer
    module API made to the loop device driver in 2.1.130).

    MIT already distributes Kerberos, etc. MIT apparently is not as
    easily squelched as are individual software developers.

    It would be helpful if MIT would establish a public archive
    which accepts contributions of US developed open source crypto
    materials, and handles the controls imposed by silly regulations.

    Reed H. Petty

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.022 / U:26.108 seconds]