SubjectRe: DES module in kernel?
> Mike Eisler <mre@eng.sun.com> writes:

> > > It distributes Kerberos, but only within the USA. Us non-US citizens
> > > usually get some variety of eBones.
> >
> > My understanding is you non-U.S. citizens (yourself excepted I reckon),
> > simply get the real thing, i.e.
> >
> > ftp://ftp.ox.ac.uk/pub/comp/security/software/Kerberos5/
>
> Yes For KerberosV this seems to be the case, but from the 'README' file:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's the exact same README that is in the download from MIT. The bits
are exactly the same. Someone is regularly donwloading this code
from MIT and exporting it, apparently illegally, to the UK. That
shouldn't be a suprise.

Is there any other Kerberos? :-) Kerberos V5: it's the the standard.

> krb5-1.0.crypto.tar.Z is the cryptographic library source. It may be
> export restricted.

It you feel obligated to follow supranational U.S. law, you may. Others who
feel differently (such as the maintainer of the ftp site) may not. It's a
choice you have, though as a U.S. resident, not one that I have.

-mre

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.087 / U:0.052 seconds]