    SubjectRe: [patch] recover losed timer interrupt using the TSC [Re: [patch] kstat change to see how much Linux SMP really scale well]
    In message <>, "Ulrich Windl" write
    | As a side-note: This is from Johan Swenker as a contribution to an
    | NTP FAQ; have you considered it?
    | ---------
    | Question
    | Every once in a while my system looses 30 msec. How comes?
    | Answer
    | You are running Linux; you are using automatic module loading using
    | /sbin/kerneld. During module loading the kernel does not take good
    | care of the time. If you can spare the memory, please load the
    | modules at boot time.

    Actually, I found that the automatic "rmmod -a" done every minute or so on
    Red Hat systems had an even bigger effect on drift --- even if there weren't
    any modules to be unloaded. (Sadly, building a static kernel and killing the
    module stuff didn't make it entirely stable.)

    brandon s. allbery [os/2][linux][solaris][japh]
    system administrator [WAY too many hats]
    carnegie mellon / electrical and computer engineering KF8NH