SubjectRe: [patch] recover losed timer interrupt using the TSC [Re: [patch] kstat change to see how much Linux SMP really scale well]
In message <>, "Ulrich Windl" write
| As a side-note: This is from Johan Swenker as a contribution to an
| NTP FAQ; have you considered it?
| ---------
| Question
| Every once in a while my system looses 30 msec. How comes?
| Answer
| You are running Linux; you are using automatic module loading using
| /sbin/kerneld. During module loading the kernel does not take good
| care of the time. If you can spare the memory, please load the
| modules at boot time.

Actually, I found that the automatic "rmmod -a" done every minute or so on
Red Hat systems had an even bigger effect on drift --- even if there weren't
any modules to be unloaded. (Sadly, building a static kernel and killing the
module stuff didn't make it entirely stable.)

brandon s. allbery [os/2][linux][solaris][japh]
system administrator [WAY too many hats]
carnegie mellon / electrical and computer engineering KF8NH

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.065 / U:4.332 seconds]