SubjectRe: DES module in kernel?
   Date: 	Tue, 16 Mar 1999 07:17:11 -0800 (PST)
From: Mike Eisler <mre@eng.sun.com>

Whoever is "in charge" of Linux will need to seek legal counsel
versed in these issues. The U.S. has relaxed export control laws, and
so export of 56 bit DES is possible (I've done it), and legal, but
only with an appropriate export control license.

Yes, but to my knowledge the applicable agencies generally don't like
giving export control licenses for source which contains DES. After
all, once DES made it into an export-approved source base, that means
that a patch to do triple-DES is about a 20-line patch. :-)

If someone has any knowledge to the contrary, please let me know, since
I'm very interested (for more packages than just Linux), but as far as I
know, source-level exports are quite different from the kind of
binary-level exports that is generally done for propietary software.

- Ted

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.856 / U:0.028 seconds]