SubjectRe: DES module in kernel?
"Theodore Y. Ts'o" wrote:
> If someone has any knowledge to the contrary, please let me know, since
> I'm very interested (for more packages than just Linux), but as far as I
> know, source-level exports are quite different from the kind of
> binary-level exports that is generally done for propietary software.

For what it's worth, Netscape's lawyers seem to believe that getting an
export license for 40-bit crypto _source_ is not feasible, although we
can sometimes get away with 128-bit binary export without too much

But I, too, would be pleasantly stunned to hear of someone getting an
export license for crypto source from the US gov't.

215599.46 179254.01