    SubjectRe: DES module in kernel?
    "Theodore Y. Ts'o" wrote:
    > If someone has any knowledge to the contrary, please let me know, since
    > I'm very interested (for more packages than just Linux), but as far as I
    > know, source-level exports are quite different from the kind of
    > binary-level exports that is generally done for propietary software.

    For what it's worth, Netscape's lawyers seem to believe that getting an
    export license for 40-bit crypto _source_ is not feasible, although we
    can sometimes get away with 128-bit binary export without too much
    hassle.

    But I, too, would be pleasantly stunned to hear of someone getting an
    export license for crypto source from the US gov't.

    Mike

    --
    215599.46 179254.01