SubjectRe: patch names hack
Date
Oliver Xymoron wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Mar 1999, Jeremy Katz wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 13 Mar 1999, Oliver Xymoron wrote:
> >=20
> > > And simply being able to build 2.2.x and 2.2.x+foo on the same machine
> > > without having them overwrite each other's modules should be worth it =
> by
> > > itself for developers.=20
> >=20
> > Can't you already do this since EXTRAVERSION is still in the Makefile =
> and
> > all the associated scripts??? I know that I had a 2.2.2 and a 2.2.2-ac7
> > built with separate module directories, etc.=20
>
> The patch names hack keeps each extra
> version component in a separate file (along with its description) so there
> are never rejects.

Yet another approach is to encode the kernel compile number in the
kernel name. This only requires a very, very minor patch. I have described
how you can do this some time ago; you can find it at
http://huizen.dds.nl/~frodol/howto.html
Once, I wanted to make a mini-HOWTO of this document, but it was deemed
that the subject was not interesting enough for that by the mini-HOWTO
maintainer. He was probably right.

Good luck,
Frodo

--
Frodo Looijaard <frodol@dds.nl> PGP key and more: http://huizen.dds.nl/~frodol
At my homepage you will also find a guide for installing glibc under Linux.