    SubjectRe: [OFFTOPIC]: MS Porting Office to Linux?
    On Sun, 14 Mar 1999, Mikulas Patocka wrote:

    > So what do you think the MS Office instaler for linux will do? Installers
    > are run with root privileges, so they can do what they want. It will
    > surelly create a lot of waste over the whole filesystem, modify existing
    > config files so that some programs stop to work and overwrite the
    > libraries in /lib and /usr/lib with Microsoft(r) versions.
    > They can't stop linux working immediatelly after installation of MS
    > Office, but I_am_sure, that the installation will make linux or some linux
    > programs unstable and unusable.

    If they will sabotage OS that isn't their, it will be much more serious
    charge in court than what they have now. And they will have hard time
    explaining why they couldn't add their version of some library or utility
    without removing existing ones -- it's not Windows where DLLs replacement
    is the only way to do changes/upgrades just because designers were
    genuinely dumb when they made DLLs support.

    And why in the world anyone will run anything written by Microsoft as
    root? If some [skipped] even will make such a thing that has to be root
    to install, won't it will take more than two days for someone else to
    write a wrapper that makes chrooted environment where installer will
    be run as some normal user, but all environment will lie to him that
    he is root?

    Excellent.. now give users the option to cut your hair you hippie!
    -- Anonymous Coward

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.021 / U:10.768 seconds]