    SubjectRe: PnP for Linux
    On Sun, 14 Mar 1999, Rayson Ho wrote:
    > I think we can modify the Linux Kernel boot sequence:
    > -- so that we can save one reboot!
    > 1)Linux Kernel boots
    > 2)Init runs
    > 3)an rc script reads the hardware info (registry for Linux?)
    > 4)the script runs a program to config the PnP devices
    > 5)the script loads the modules for the PnP devices
    > 6)normal startup sequence...
    >
    > ** By 'script' I mean the script + the necessary programs.
    >
    > This is the basic idea. Will this work??

    Big problem with this is when your root device is on a (for example) plug
    and play SCSI or IDE controller... there are some ways to work around it
    using an initrd but that's kind of a pain IMO and is hard to work with in
    the case of installs. The kernel really needs to do detection and
    enabling before root filesystem is mounted IMO.

    Jeremy

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.018 / U:1.252 seconds]