    SubjectRe: PnP for Linux
    On Sun, 14 Mar 1999, Rayson Ho wrote:
    > I think we can modify the Linux Kernel boot sequence:
    > -- so that we can save one reboot!
    > 1)Linux Kernel boots
    > 2)Init runs
    > 3)an rc script reads the hardware info (registry for Linux?)
    > 4)the script runs a program to config the PnP devices
    > 5)the script loads the modules for the PnP devices
    > 6)normal startup sequence...
    > ** By 'script' I mean the script + the necessary programs.
    > This is the basic idea. Will this work??

    Big problem with this is when your root device is on a (for example) plug
    and play SCSI or IDE controller... there are some ways to work around it
    using an initrd but that's kind of a pain IMO and is hard to work with in
    the case of installs. The kernel really needs to do detection and
    enabling before root filesystem is mounted IMO.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.018 / U:13.448 seconds]