    SubjectRe: > 1GB on alpha. Patch to 1TB?
    Date
    > There are a growing number of 64 bit PCI implementations. Alpha has quite
    > a chunk of this, and so does UltraSparc.
    >
    > Is there a framework in place or a notion of how the Linux PCI stuff ought
    > to cope with this yet?

    There is something in the sparc tree, which is used also for sun4c and sun4d
    (where there is only 64MB of DMA per board, so one has to remap DMA areas
    during runtime).
    Besically, each driver before it starts doing dma uses some function which
    translates virtual address + length to dma address and allocates it, then
    after the dma the driver has to release it again.
    Martin Mares and myself are considering this as part of the new buses
    interface we plan for 2.3. The Ultra port supports even now huge amounts of
    memory, but uses bounce buffers for that. I plan to change it in early 2.3.

    Cheers,
    Jakub
    Jakub Jelinek | jj@sunsite.mff.cuni.cz | http://sunsite.mff.cuni.cz
    Administrator of SunSITE Czech Republic, MFF, Charles University