    SubjectKernelupgrade / Re: Too many open files error
    From
    Hi Alan,

    I am not so familiar in programming but I mentioned to put the entry
    "console_init();" before the entry "time_init();" in function
    "start_kernel"
    at line 1120.
    The file main.c looks like (in line 1119 / 1120 / 1121):
    1119: sched_init();
    1120: console_init();
    1121: time_init();

    All I got while compiling (I did a make dep ; make clean ; make modules
    ; make
    modules_install ; make zdisk) is a message from make zdisk
    "init/main.c: In function `start_kernel´:
    init/main.c:1120: too few arguments to function `console_init´ " Then
    the
    compilation fails.

    I don't know if I placed the statement right in main.c so I like to
    please you to
    be more specific (that's not a critic, but I need more information).
    I also upgraded to 2.2.3 by patching, and the message after rebooting is
    still
    the same. I would send you the oops... but I can't see any.
    All I noticed was "heavy traffice" on my drives (like a normal bootup)
    and after
    resetting (that's the only way to restart the machine) I got a
    filesystemcheck
    because of umounting uncleanly.
    Seems that kernel mounts the filesystems... but after that?

    Thank you for your hint anyway, Dietmar

    Alan Cox wrote:

    > > The option/parameter is called NR_OPEN and is used with OPEN_MAX in limits.h
    > > in ./linux/include/linux. I think in kernel 2.2.x it has the same place, so
    > > you can edit it manually. A standard NR_OPEN_STD would be overriden during
    > > compilation of the kernel (that's the way I did).
    > > I increased the number to 2048 and its working.
    >
    > Its actually not a good idea to change the per process max without the big
    > fd patch in 2.0 -you risk corruption from kernel stack overflows
    >
    > > A question of mine: I am using SuSE6.0 still trying to upgrade to 2.2.x but
    > > after rebooting machine (compilation of the kernel is ok) it hangs up with
    > > the message:
    > > Uncompressing kernel... Now booting the kernel...."
    >
    > Does 2.2.3 still do this. If so move console_init() to just before time_init
    > in init/main.c ,rebuild and report the oops

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.024 / U:2.720 seconds]