SubjectRe: Linux/IA-64 byte order
On Mon, Mar 08, 1999 at 10:41:01PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Wrong.
>
> Think about "memcpy()" and structures (imagine a structure that mixes
> 16-bit, 32-bit and 64-bit data).
>
> There is no easy solution to bi-endianness. Anybody who thinks there is is
> just sadly misguided. You should aim for having a systemwide endianness,
> anything else is just asking for trouble for absolutely no real gain.
>
> "Just say no". LE is here to stay, just live with it.
>
> Linus

Linus,

Sheesh, Deja Vue.

Do you recall when Andy Tannenbaum said that Linux was a waste of time,
inexcuseably bad software engineering, and that he would have failed you
if you had been his student?

Godhood did little to help Dr. Tannenbaum, eh?

Some kid from Finland chose to ignore that caustic God and began working
on his own. With help from his friends, he has now come full circle.
Welcome to Godhood Mr. Torvalds... may Dr. Tannenbaum's comments remain
forever fresh in your mind.

"Just say no. LE is here to stay, just live with it", "Andrea, just go
away", "David...get the hell out of my mailbox", ...

Ack!

Gods of the Unix pantheon sometimes find that a quiet stroll around the
campus of U.C. Berkeley late at night (when they are not likely to be
recognized) calms frayed nerves. Camping within earshot of the surf near
Santa Cruz also helps. (I would also suggest Wollongong but it is a long
way to travel and kangeroos make some people sneeze ;)

Best Regards as Always,
Reed H. Petty
rhp@draper.net

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.397 / U:0.568 seconds]