Subjectlpd completely kills 2.2.1
Hi,

last friday, I got a very strange lockup (the first lockup of Linux ever
since almost six years).

I was printing a Postscript file (which was created by acroread). After
the first page and the first five lines of the second page were printed,
Linux stopped. It stopped completely. No messages, no oops, no anomalies,
no nothing. Even "top" (which I was running the same time) showed no
high load and a processor usage less than 10%.

And the problem continued.

Since Linux crashed (and the SysRQ key did not work, of course), I have
to hard reboot it, which resulted in a long (10min on a 4.3GB disk)
fsck. Linux started, lpd was started, too, and it started printing.
The first five lines of the second page, then Linux froze again.
Completely. No messages, no oops, no nothing at all.

It was *very* *very* difficult to get Linux working (and not printing)
again (I forgot, that deleting files in single user mode does not modify
anything at all, when you cannot shutdown your machine, but have to reboot
it the "hard" way, aka power off-power on :-) I think, you can guess, what
happens the next fsck).

Does anyone have an idea, what went wrong? AFAIR, I'm running lpd
from the LPR-ng package, but I'm running this since more than one year
(and several hundered pages, including .ps-files, generated by acroread)
without any problems at all.

Ciao and thank you
Christoph
--
** 5 years online on http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/ChLorenz/ **
** No Spam ! ** No Adverts ! ** No Junk-Mails ! ** No unwanted Mails ! **

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.076 / U:0.160 seconds]