    SubjectRe: Kernel interface changes (was Re: cdrecord problems on
    Pavel Machek <> writes:

    > Ook, so you depend on AFS. Do you need speed? If you can afford to
    > loose a _lot_ of speed, you can develop userland nfs daemon that will
    > re-export AFS. That way, you'll have portable & kernel-change-proof
    > solution.

    Unfortunately I don't think that that is an option; it would defeat
    the purpose of using Linux as a replacement for higher-end OSes that
    do have the speed. With the speed of most of today's Linux-supported
    platforms, we can easily justify the use of Linux because the speed is
    comparrible (or even better) than higher-cost workstations. AFS is
    "slow", even when it's in the kernel. I don't even want to think
    about how gawdawful slow it would be elsewhere (I've never used Arla,
    so I don't know exactly how slow that is). I do believe that the
    speed hit would bring to question the benefits of moving to Linux as a
    reasonable platform.

    So, I think the answer is "yes, we need the speed" and "no, we cannot
    afford to lose a _lot_ of speed."

    Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board (SIPB)
    warlord@MIT.EDU PGP key available

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.021 / U:3.704 seconds]