SubjectRe: ARP - hardware type 6 / rfc1042
On Mon, 8 Feb 1999 kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru wrote:

> Hello!
>
>> Volker wrote:
>>
> > Cabletron technical support told me, there will be a firmware upgrade
> > wich brings a solution for non rfc1042 compliant components. So the
> > switch will send two arp packets one with hardware type 1 and another
> > with hardware type 6.

Yep - Standard Cabletron BS$^&. Just recently was told by Cabletron that
there exists NO standard for forwarding IP directed broadcasts (IE:
192.168.1.255) so they could not be faulted for their integral router not
forwarding such broadcasts. And yes I am emphasizing integral Router. This
came up when trying to setup some Netware 5.0 pure IP networks where we
also found out that the Cabletron did not "do" multicasting. It would
silently discard multicast packets and when we tried broadcasting
...hehehehe. Their idea of standards is whatever they feel is right....

> The node sits on ethernet segment and hence it has no reasons to
> comply to rfc1042, describing 802.[2-5].
> It is cabletron switch, which claims that it is able to switch
> between diferent media must comply.
>
>> Volker wrote:
>>
> > Cabletron technical support told me, there will be a firmware upgrade
> > wich brings a solution for non rfc1042 compliant components. So the
> > switch will send two arp packets one with hardware type 1 and another
> > with hardware type 6.
>
> Please, ask them for which purpose packet with type 6 is useful
> on ethernet segment. Seriously, I am curious.

So am I - I would love to see what their "reasoning" is.

> Alexey Kuznetsov

Anyway - replies to private mail. Thanks!

Matthew G. Marsh, President
Paktronix Systems LLC
1506 North 59th Street
Omaha NE 68104