    SubjectRe: Linux-2.2.0 bad VM behaviour "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdc bs=256k"
    > Can you try the patch below (made against 2.2.2-pre2)? The key is to
    > recognise that when we wake up bdflush, we need to take into account how
    > many dirty buffers there are; but when we decide whether or not to wait
    > for the bdflush pass to complete, it is BUF_LOCKED, not BUF_DIRTY,
    > buffers which are important. If we don't wait for bdflush once
    > BUF_LOCKED grows too high, then we will simply continue to create more
    > locked IO buffers until the request queues are completely saturated.

    How very appropriate. I've been whining about this to a lot of folks
    lately- all of primary memory gets saturated with buffers needing to be
    flushed and response time goes to hell.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.021 / U:324.748 seconds]