    SubjectRe: Linux-2.2.0 bad VM behaviour "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdc bs=256k"
    On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

    > In other words, if the number of dirty buffers grows too excessive, then
    > we kick of a round of bdflush _and_ wait for the IO to complete,

    Agreed. I agree completly with this solution. Waking up faster kflushd as
    suggested by Linus had no way to avoid the dirty MM bomb (kflushd is just
    wakenup in a rasonable time now, and btw it's behavior it's just completly
    customizable via sysctl).

    > I'm going to try out combinations of the above on large and small
    > machines to make sure we get something which doesn't impact normal
    > performance too badly, but I suspect that a simple change like the above
    > in refile_buffer will be enough to cure the complete memory anihilating
    > behaviour of the new, lean buffer cache code.

    I think yes. I have not checked the code yet though.

    Andrea Arcangeli

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.026 / U:35.676 seconds]