    SubjectRe: Kernel interface changes (was Re: cdrecord problems on
    > Khimenko Victor <> writes:
    > > Why you must rebuild 1000's of client machines ? You should compile kernel
    > > anyway to make upgrade -- why not compile all needed modules as well ????
    > Because they don't have the source for those modules -- the company
    > that created them have the source.

    Thats an extreme situation though. I think everyone is happy about it for
    binary compatibility at application levels. Juggling this kind of stuff to
    suit IBM's own problems isn't trivial. I think people have a right to expect
    2.2.* to run binaries identically (well barring bug fixes meaning they now
    work right!) but at the module level its far from trivial.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.017 / U:33.580 seconds]