SubjectRe: Kernel interface changes (was Re: cdrecord problems on
Khimenko Victor <khim@sch57.msk.ru> writes:

> Why you must rebuild 1000's of client machines ? You should compile kernel
> anyway to make upgrade -- why not compile all needed modules as well ????

Because they don't have the source for those modules -- the company
that created them have the source.

> Unfortunatelly not. I'm could kill ANY WindowsNT system without Admin or
> even Power User access just by doing some nasty things with DDE. Why it's
> not fixed ? "Oh, this will break so many programs..."

So, change it during the development cycle; Linux 2.1 is the perfect
time for things like that. However, once 2.2 is released, hold it and
wait until 2.3.

-derek
Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board (SIPB)
warlord@MIT.EDU PGP key available