SubjectRe: Kernel interface changes (was Re: cdrecord problems on
On Thu, Feb 04, 1999 at 10:17:54PM +0300, Khimenko Victor wrote:
> In <199902041856.NAA00105@cutter-john.MIT.EDU> Monty (xiphmont@mit.edu) wrote:
>
> M> No more cc:s to cdwrite or linux-scsi, please.

> >>Unfortunatelly it's not possible. Joe average will not even try "development"
> >>kernel and some errors could not be found without A LOT OF users.
>
> M> So fix the bugs. Don't try to roll in new features or optimizations.
> M> One specific trouble I was talking about happened when 2.1 lasted long
> M> enough that developers decided to roll 2.1 features back into 2.0. Of
> M> *course* you're going to miss something!
>
> You could not get 100% compatibility with ANY change (even if you'll just fix
> bug this will probably broke someone program! that's why quite a few well-known
> bugs in Windows could not be fixed)...

I assume this is a joke...

> As fast as this does not affect userspace API it's not a problem to me. Source
> compatibility is good but binary-compatibility... Even if binary-only modules
> was mistakenly allowed bu Linus in first place it's not excuse to make
> developers of them happy :-)

Look, it's not just a question of binary-only modules. Even if you have source in
a distributed environment, you still have the problem of rebuilding 1000's of client
machines (and, at least in one case, just because someone decided to shave off a few
microseconds with better cache alignment). This doesn't make sense.

-- arvind

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.118 / U:0.212 seconds]