SubjectRe: Kernel interface changes (was Re: cdrecord problems on
Excerpts from mail: 4-Feb-99 Re: Kernel interface change.. Stephen
Harris@mpn.com (790*)

> Hell, even Solaris 2.4 programs don't run properly under Solaris 2.6
> (and not even under 2.5.1 - try out the Lotus Notes 4.0 client, for
> example).

Actually the results are mixed here. Having been the team leader at MIT
for the school-wide roll-out of Solaris 2.1, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5.1, and 2.6 I
can tell you that there were SOME binaries that worked without
recompilation across the WHOLE set. There were some that did not. But
there are MANY programs that students at MIT use every day under Solaris
2.6 that have not been recompiled since Solaris 2.3!

Can we please stop arguing about this? Each of us has something to
contribute to reducing the number of binary incompatibilities. I think
we agree that there are problematic special cases. But instead of
flaming each other, could we go back to the original intent of the
message that started off this storm:

Sometimes people are careless and allow changes in that cause big
problems for little value added. Can we try and be more aware of
consequences and be a little more dedicated to binary compatibility?

-Bill Cattey
The guy whose tush will be on the line if Officially Supported
Linux-Athena fails at MIT.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.090 / U:0.444 seconds]