SubjectRe: A module bug in 2.2.1?
On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, H.J. Lu wrote:

> > kmod in the kernel is trying to demand load unix domain sockets with
> > 'modprobe -s -k unix'. modprobe gets some error. Because modprobe
> > was given "-s", it calls syslog to record the error. syslog tries to
> > use a unix domain socket, causing the kernel to again 'modprobe -s -k unix'
> > again, continuing the recursive cycle.
> >
> > I am not sure why you are getting an error in the first place though,
> > especially that error. Do you perhaps have a custom module of your own
> > named "unix"?
> >

> I upgraded to modutils 2.1.121. This message is gone. Now I get
>
> request_module[net-pf-1]: fork failed, errno 11
> NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0 for Linux NET4.0.
>
> during the boot. I guess the bug may be in kernel and modutils. The
> "unix" module is used by many programs. Everyone tries to load the
> same thing at the same time. I will take a look to see if I can
> fix it.

If you run glibc 2.1 by any chance, the reason is /bin/sh querying some
of NSS databases on startup. The NSS subsystem of glibc 2.1 tries to
contact nscd via a Unix socket. As a result modprobe is being called
again. This creates an infinite loop which is terminated upon memory
exhaustion which makes the last socket() fail and the shell continues. As
the purpose of the shell is to invoke insmod on unix.o (modprobe uses
system() to facilitate shell expansion of entries from modules.conf), the
module is finally inserted and processing continues.

A temporary workaround is to place an entry like
"un::sysinit:/sbin/insmod unix" as the first of "sysinit" type in inittab.