SubjectRe: [patch] drivers/net/plip.c
Hi folks,

Tommy Thorn writes:
> A DMA capable, 8 bit PLIP-like would be much nicer, but the lack of a
> standard cable might be a show stopper.

I don't think it's just a cable problem.

You know, parallel port --- the haredware --- is *not* designed to
connect machines each other. Yes, newer standards such as EPP, ECP
have much features, but AFAIK, none defines peer to peer connection.

Given that the situation, I think that you have to design the way how
to establish peer to peer connection by yourself.

* * *

I know that (current) PLIP is not as good as one expects, but it does
all the best with no hardware support. Around 1994, many hackers
teawk PLIP, some changed the protocol, some did 8-bit support, but
such changes didn't make any good result in terms of stability,
efficiency, and interoperability. Then, the current code survives.

Yes, you're free to write any software. Don't critisize much on
existing code. :-) Instead, how about publish your code and call for
testers? It's users who deside which is good.

Besides, I think that if it requires different cable, the module and
it's name should be changed.

Regards,
--
NIIBE Yutaka