SubjectRe: Kernel interface changes (was Re: cdrecord problems on recent Linux versions)
Date
> >       /usr/include/scsi/sg.h
> > and
> > /usr/src/linux/include/scsi/sg.h
> >
> > The result is that cderecord reports "Not enough memory" cannot send
> > SCSI command.....
>
> I take it this means that someone, in their infinite wisdom (Jens:
> apologies if this was you), decided to gratuitously change yet another
> kernel interface (and not mention it to the community beyond burying

I doubt it. Check the files and let me know but I would guess #1 that
glibc exports scsi/sg.h which should be compatible and maybe has a bug. I've
not hit any sg problems other than the generic one buffer and no scatter
gather stuff

> for no good reason. You might have *thought* that just bumping up the
> size of the argument struct to a single ioctl from 2.0.34->2.0.35 was

That would count as a bug. I can't find the report in my 2.0.34pre archive

> and its lookup tables for example). A binary built against 5.3
> segfaults when run with 5.4 and vice versa. So, everything is
> statically linked. Thank you Foresight.

There are reasons people like Red Hat didnt go to 5.4 8)

> I'm going to go look at the sg.h problem now. I'm praying someone is
> confused and it's still all the same, or at least extended in such a
> way I can build backward compatable binaries. Mind the above flame.

The kernel SG api hasnt afaik changed. All my old binaries run, the glibc
binaries I have run fine too (SANE for example).

Alan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.105 / U:2.012 seconds]