    SubjectRe: howto disable auto route setup?
    "Fred Reimer" <> writes:

    > It seems that people who have problems with the automatic creation of a
    > route are all using point to point interfaces, no?

    No. The problem is when I want to setup an interface (for example, to
    be able to get packets on it), but don't want to route packets
    through it. A firewall might require such a feature - in fact, you
    usually don't want to add routing until all firewalling rules are
    defined. A listening-only host (i.e. syslog host) might not want
    to send any packets. There are probably other examples. Of course,
    you can _usually_ work around this.

    The only example of automatic route not being a pain is a regular
    host (or router) with regular interfaces and routing. But not having
    such a feature doesn't break things.

    If there is a _real_ need for automatic route creation, I would rather
    add the code to ifconfig - say, --autoroute flag would add network
    route to newly opened interface.
    Krzysztof Halasa
    Network Administrator of The Palace of Youth in Warsaw

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.020 / U:0.024 seconds]